Thursday, December 23, 2010

art of christmas: stephen scott

Inshallah/Deo Volente
Mixed media 12” x 12”

Luke 1:26-38 — …I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her.

I buy frames and display boxes in thrift stores. For this piece I mostly used images from the photos I took while travelling in India and different parts of South East Asia. In both instances, the frame and the images are `redeemed, recycled and repurposed.’
I would like to think that this kind of renewal carries a faint, imperfect echo of the possibility that God offers any of us through the coming of His Son.

According to the earlier verses (26 on) Mary was initially troubled by the angel’s visit, and uncertain of the meaning of what was being said to her. As the implication of the angel’s words began to dawn on her she asked questions. And then she placed herself at God’s disposal. `Inshallah’ is how they say `If it is God’s will’ in a Middle Eastern context. This was Mary’s attitude when the angel told her the impossibly good news.

Stephen Scott
www.cana-arts.blogspot.com

No comments: