Sunday, December 19, 2010

art of christmas: katie murphy


His Purpose
Mixed media on canvas 36” x 12”

John 12:27-28 — Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”

The purpose of Jesus’ birth was His death for us. In this verse, Jesus is absolutely unwavering in his willingness to fulfill this purpose set before Him. He has complete confidence in God and what He is about to endure for us.

To emphasize His confidence, I partially covered up the beginning of the verse with images and symbols of His earthly journey. No matter how troubling His circumstances, He lets God lead His life every step of the way, and glorifies Him in the midst of it all.

I thought it only fitting to also include Jesus’ command iin John 15:12. “My command is this, love each other as I have loved you.” Jesus loved with utter confidence and sacrifice, patience, kindness, forgiveness, mercy, and grace. He loved those whom we might categorize as “unlovable.” Are we not all children of God? It may be troubling to our hearts at times to love this way, but it is what he asks of us. Jesus humbled Himself, came to earth, and fulfilled His purpose for us…are we willing, with humility and God’s consistent help, in spite of troubled hearts at times, to fulfill ours for Him?

Katie Murphy
www.justwonderingthrough.com

No comments: