Tuesday, May 22, 2007

jerusalem palms

Last week I finally got some new palm tree shots for this project - sometimes squeezing in a long term project like this is tricky amongst the current deadlines - you can see my journal for the shooting session at my Wanderings blog (http://www.judithmonroe.com/journal.html.)

So I was able to insert a copy of photos into my heaven journal, to help guide me when I go into the darkroom - also tricky to squeeze in sometimes - this is what the whole thing looks like when layered, a sort of approximation of the final image, much less refined, but the basic idea.



The topmost layer is a map of ancient Jerusalem, showing the history of the city.



The center layer is the colored photograph of the palms and a clock tower, representing the future Jerusalem.



The bottom layer in my journal will likely be part of the overlay in the finished product, but it's appropriate here as the foundation of the work, the scripture that the whole concept of heaven is based on.



This particular scripture comes from Zechariah 2:4-5, "Jerusalem will someday be so full of people and livestock that there won't be room enough for everyone! Many will live outside the city walls. Then, I, myself, will be a protective wall of fire around Jerusalem, says the Lord. And I will be the glory inside the city!" This ties in with the references to the New Jerusalem in Revelation, speaking of a huge cube-like city brought down from heaven to earth, so much larger than the Jerusalem of the past, that it could house incredibly large numbers of people. We can only begin to imagine the glory of it all...

No comments: