Monday, August 27, 2007

a real home

The next page I'll share with you from my altered book, "Visions of Heaven," has another Polaroid transfer on it, accompanied by Colossians 3:1. "Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God's right hand." This speaks volumes, first of all, that heaven is a reality, and that it is something that we should be looking forward to. I especially like this New Living Translation, which I think emphasizes the tangible qualities of heaven, mush more than a purely spiritual realm.

One of following pages in this altered book, emphasizes a different aspect of heaven, spelled out in the selected letters of the text, h-0-m-e, and illustrated with a Polaroid transfer and my ubiquitous palm motif. The preceding page has a quote from Jesus on it, "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." (John 14:1-3) While Jesus does not use the word heaven, by calling it his "Father's home" he is giving the very definition on heaven, that is, God's dwelling place. Wherever God is, that is heaven, and Christ is making the place ready for us - we should get ourselves ready, too!

No comments: